Cr Marianne Pelz was re-elected to council in October 2016. She was previously elected to council in 2008 and 2012. She was Mayor in 2015-16 and Deputy Mayor in 2011-12.
Marianne is a qualified fashion designer by trade who later became a director of her family transport company.
Educated firstly at Tintern Girls Grammar School, later to finish her finals years at Yarra Valley Grammar School, Marianne completed a Diploma of Fashion Design and Production. She later completed a Diploma of Company Directorship at the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
Marianne started her employment as a bridal wear patternmaker/designer before moving to ABC Television where she worked for eight years in the wardrobe department dressing actors and TV personalities.
She married Richard, moved to Orbost and the couple had three children, enjoying the picturesque lifestyle a good country town can bring.
With the children growing up she soon found herself busy in community involvement which has been an integral part of Marianne’s life.
She has held many roles, including:
- Founder and representative of the Orbost Community Development Group;
- Secretary of the Orbost branch of Timber Communities Australia;
- Founder and president of the Snowy River Women’s Investment Group;
- East Gippsland Water Board Director;
- Community representative on the Timber Industry Restructure Group; and is a
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
As a Councillor, Marianne has represented the community at all levels: selected for the Ministerial Advisory Committee, selected for Municipal Association of Victoria’s Transport and Infrastructure Advisory Committee, Timber Towns Victoria, Economic Development Committee, and Audit Committee.
She has worked strategically with the region’s Aboriginal groups, and her biggest passion is working as an executive of the South East Australian Transport Strategy – advocating for road improvements for the eastern region.
Cr Pelz served as a member of the following Advisory Committees and Working Groups in 2018-19:
- Audit and Risk Committee
Cr Pelz was a Council representative to the following external organisations:
- South East Australian Transport Strategy
- Rail Freight Alliance
- Municipal Association of Victoria – Transport and Infrastructure Committee
- Rural Councils Victoria
- National Timber Councils Association